Most of us think of ourselves as safe and responsible drivers. Yet the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration and the National Safety Council report that automobile accidents are the leading cause of death for people ages 5 to 33 and the leading cause of injury for people of all ages. You can't be responsible for other drivers, but it is wise to brush up on your own auto safety skills. To test your knowledge, try your hand at this true/false quiz.
1. In a severe accident, you have a better chance of surviving if you are not wearing a seat belt and are thrown from the car.
2. Driving when you are sleepy can be as dangerous as driving when you are drunk.
3. If someone is following your car too closely, you should gently tap your brakes as a warning.
4. If your car has an air bag, you don't need to wear a seat belt.
5. Never buckle a child safety seat into the front seat of a car that has an air bag.
6. If an adult is not wearing a seat belt and is sitting too close to the dashboard, he or she could be in danger if the air bag inflates.
7. Seat belts and child safety seats are necessary only for long-distance driving or for traveling at fast speeds.
8. The instruction booklet for a child safety seat tells you everything you need to know about installing the seat safely in your vehicle.
9. Once a child weighs 40 pounds, he or she can ride safely in a car with a regular seat belt.
10. If your car doesn't have an air bag, your children can ride safely in the front seat.
1. False. Studies show that many crash victims who did not wear a seat belt and were killed after being thrown out of the car would have lived -- often with only minor injuries -- if they had been restrained within the car.
2. True. The U.S. Department of Transportation estimates that sleepy drivers cause at least 56,000 accidents a year. If you are tired, don't drive. If you become drowsy while driving, pull over to a safe place and take a short nap, or get out of the car and stretch your legs at a rest area. Drinking coffee can help, but only for about 30 minutes. Turning up your radio and rolling down the windows are not effective wake-up methods.
3. False. Tapping your brakes could cause a collision. Instead, change lanes or pull over to the side of the road and let the other driver pass you.
4. False. An air bag is a supplemental restraint only. For it to work properly, you must wear your seat belt. What's more, front air bags inflate only in head-on crashes, side air bags inflate when the side of the car caves into the passenger space. Seat belts, on the other hand, can protect you in every type of collision and they are effective when the car rolls and an airbag doesn’t inflate.
5. True. In a crash, an air bag inflates in milliseconds at up to 200 miles per hour and can slam into the back of a rear-facing infant seat (where the baby's head rests) or into the upper body of an older child in a forward-facing safety seat. The safest place for a child 12 and under is in the middle of the backseat.
6. True. Unbuckled passengers of all ages can be injured or killed by an inflating air bag. Adults and teens riding in the front seat should buckle up and sit at least 10 inches away from the dashboard. Kids 12 years of age and younger should ride buckled up in the backseat.
7. False. Most crashes occur at speeds under 40 miles per hour and within 25 miles of home.
8. False. To install the seat safely in your car, read both the safety seat manual and your car's owner's manual. Depending on your vehicle, you may need a supplemental belt, metal locking clip, or other device for a snug fit.
9. False. Children who weigh between 40 and 60 pounds are safest when riding in a booster seat and secured by a lap and shoulder belt. The booster seat elevates the child so that the belt fits across the body properly and snugly, which maximizes protection.
10. False. Air bag or not, the backseat is still the safest place for children of any age to ride.
Take the Pain QuizWhat's the most sensitive part of your body? ...Pain Quiz ►
Aspirin Rectal suppository
Aspirin Chewing-gum, medicated
Aspirin Oral tablet
Acetaminophen, Aspirin, Caffeine Oral powder
Acetaminophen, Aspirin, Caffeine Oral tablet
Clonidine Hydrochloride Solution for injection
Clonidine Transdermal patch - weekly
Clonidine Hydrochloride Oral tablet
Propoxyphene Hydrochloride Oral capsule
Oxycodone Hydrochloride Oral solution
Oxycodone Hydrochloride Oral tablet, extended-release
Morphine Sulfate Oral tablet, extended-release
Morphine Sulfate Rectal suppository
Papaverine Hydrochloride Solution for injection
Morphine Sulfate Oral solution
Papaverine Hydrochloride Oral capsule, extended-release
Morphine Sulfate Oral capsule, extended-release(1)
Methadone Hydrochloride Solution for injection
Methadone Hydrochloride Oral solution
Methadone Hydrochloride Oral suspension
Morphine Sulfate Suspension for injection
Oxymorphone Hydrochloride Rectal suppository
Cyclobenzaprine Hydrochloride Oral capsule, extended-release
Diclofenac Epolamine Medicated topical patch
Diclofenac Sodium Topical gel
Oxymorphone Hydrochloride Solution for injection
Oxymorphone Hydrochloride Oral tablet
Oxymorphone Hydrochloride Oral tablet, extended-release
Tramadol Hydrochloride Oral tablet, extended-release
Propoxyphene Napsylate Oral tablet
Acetaminophen Oral suspension
Diphenhydramine Hydrochloride, Magnesium Salicylate Tetrahydrate Oral tablet
Aspirin Chewable tablet
Acetaminophen Oral disintegrating tablet
Acetaminophen Chewable tablet
Choline Salicylate, Magnesium Salicylate Oral tablet
Fentanyl Citrate Buccal tablet
Ketoprofen Oral capsule, extended-release
Propoxyphene Hydrochloride, Acetaminophen Oral tablet
Morphine Sulfate Oral tablet
Morphine Sulfate Oral capsule, extended-release
Butalbital, Acetaminophen, Caffeine Oral solution
Acetaminophen, Codeine Phosphate Oral suspension
Oxycodone Hydrochloride, Acetaminophen Oral capsule
Bromfenac Sodium Eye drops, solution
Aspirin, Caffeine, Dihydrocodeine Bitartrate Oral capsule
Meloxicam Oral suspension
Lansoprazole Oral capsule, gastro-resistant sprinkles, Naproxen Oral tablet
Meperidine Hydrochloride, Promethazine Hydrochloride Oral capsule
Etodolac Oral tablet, extended-release
Diclofenac Sodium Oral tablet
Ibuprofen Oral drops, suspension
Ibuprofen Chewable tablet
Buprenorphine Hydrochloride Solution for injection
Methadone Hydrochloride Oral tablet
Meperidine Hydrochloride Solution for injection
Meperidine Hydrochloride Oral solution
Meperidine Hydrochloride Oral tablet
Hydromorphone Hydrochloride Rectal suppository
Hydromorphone Hydrochloride Solution for injection
Hydromorphone Hydrochloride Oral solution
Hydromorphone Hydrochloride Oral tablet
Narcotic Cough/Cold Preparations Oral syrup(2)
Hydrocodone Bitartrate, Homatropine Methylbromide Oral tablet
Acetaminophen, Tramadol Hydrochloride Oral tablet
Fentanyl Citrate Oral lozenge
Fentanyl Transdermal patch - 72 hour
Codeine Phosphate Solution for injection
Codeine Sulfate Oral tablet
Butalbital, Aspirin, Caffeine, Codeine Phosphate Oral capsule
Propoxyphene Napsylate, Acetaminophen Oral tablet
Oxycodone Hydrochloride, Acetaminophen Oral solution
Oxycodone Hydrochloride, Acetaminophen Oral tablet
Hydrocodone Bitartrate, Acetaminophen Oral solution
Acetaminophen, Codeine Phosphate Oral tablet
Butalbital, Acetaminophen, Caffeine, Codeine Phosphate Oral capsule
Celecoxib Oral capsule
Naproxen Oral suspension
Naproxen Oral tablet, delayed-release
Meloxicam Oral tablet
Ketorolac Tromethamine Eye drops, solution
Ketorolac Tromethamine Solution for injection
Ketorolac Tromethamine Oral tablet
Acetaminophen Rectal suppository
Ibuprofen Oral suspension
Hydrocodone Bitartrate, Ibuprofen Oral tablet
Diclofenac Sodium Eye drops, solution
Diclofenac Potassium Oral tablet
Diclofenac Sodium Oral tablet, extended-release
Nortriptyline Hydrochloride Oral solution
Nortriptyline Hydrochloride Oral capsule
Naloxone Hydrochloride, Pentazocine Hydrochloride Oral tablet
Pentazocine Lactate Solution for injection
Methocarbamol Oral tablet
Methocarbamol Solution for injection
Carisoprodol Oral tablet
Metaxalone Oral tablet
Cyclobenzaprine Hydrochloride Oral tablet
Chlorzoxazone Oral tablet
Butorphanol Tartrate Nasal spray
Butorphanol Tartrate Solution for injection
Diazepam Rectal gel
Diazepam Solution for injection
Diazepam Oral solution
Ziconotide Solution for injection
Diazepam Oral tablet
Diflunisal Oral tablet
Choline Salicylate, Magnesium Salicylate Oral solution
Carisoprodol, Aspirin Oral tablet
Tramadol Hydrochloride Oral tablet