If you've ever squinted to see that next line on the eye chart clearly, join the crowd. Is that an "E" or an "F"? If you can't tell, it's probably time for an eye exam. How much do you know about your eyes? Take this quiz and find out.
1. When can a baby focus?
a. At birth
b. 6 weeks
c. 3 months
d. 6 months
2. When should children have their first eye exam?
a. 6 months
b. 2 years of age
c. 4 years of age
d. 6 years of age
3. How do tears benefit the eyes?
a. By moistening them
b. By coating them with antibodies
c. By delivering nutrients to them
d. a and b
4. What does 20/20 vision mean?
a. Can see objects clearly at 20 feet
b. Can see objects clearly at 20 yards
c. Can see objects clearly at 20 inches
d. Can see clearly at 20 feet in right eye and left eye
5. Which of these computer users are more likely to have focusing problems?
a. First-time users
b. Young adults
c. Contact-lens wearers
d. People older than 50
6. Which of these will help reduce eyestrain when you work at a computer?
a. Frequent blinking
b. Shifting focus from near to far object
c. Eliminating glare on the screen
d. All of the above
7. How often should adults age 18 to 50 have an eye exam?
a. Every five years
b. Every two years
d. When you have difficulty seeing
8. Which of these vision problems do laser and non-laser refractive surgery correct?
d. All of the above
9. Which of these diseases can cause blindness?
a. Heart disease
d. Lung cancer
10.Which of these eye-care professionals is qualified to perform surgery?
d. b and c
11. Which of these eye care professionals is qualified to treat eye disease?
d. b and c
1. a, A baby can focus at birth. Infants can follow objects within 8 to 12 inches of their faces.
2. a, Six months. The eye doctor will test for vision problems including nearsightedness, farsightedness and astigmatism.
3. d, a and b. Tears can also be a reaction to an irritant in the eye, to bright light or to spicy foods, as well as to emotional upset (crying).
4. a, A Snellen chart is used to determine visual acuity, how clearly and sharply you see objects. The chart has characters (usually letters from the alphabet) in gradually smaller sizes. The sizes are arranged such that they can be read by the average normal eye at 200, 100, 70, 50, 40, 30, 20, 15, and occasionally 10 feet. The person is stationed 20 feet from the chart. and reads the smallest sized letters he or she can. A person with normal eyes should be able to read down to the 20 foot line (many can read to the 15 foot line). A score of 20/20 means being able to stand at the 20 foot line and read the characters on the line that normal eyes can read at 20 feet. A reading of 20/40 means that you must be as close as 20 feet to see what a person with normal vision can see at 40 feet.
5. d, People older than 50. Special prescription eyeglasses for computer or single strength OTC reading glasses can help.
6. d, All of the above.
7. b, Every two years. For those with normal vision, every three to five years until age 50 can be adequate. After age 50, have annual exams. People with diabetes should be seen annually or more often as directed by their physician.
8. d, All of the above. Refractive surgery can be done either mechanically using special surgical tools or by laser. Laser refractive surgery can correct nearsightedness, farsightedness and astigmatism. There is not yet an effective treatment for presbyopia because this condition is caused by failure of the lens to accommodate rather than problems with the shape of the cornea.
9. c, Diabetes. The condition is called diabetic retinopathy.
10. b, An ophthalmologist. An ophthalmologist is the only eye-care professional qualified to perform surgery.
11. d, b and c. Both ophthalmologists and optometrists are qualified to treat eye disease.
The Eye QuizDon't sit too close to the TV. Don't watch TV without ...Eye Quiz ►
Take the Vision TestFind out how much you know about your eyes.1. ...Vision Quiz ►
What Do You Know About Cataracts?More than half of Americans ...Cataracts Quiz ►
Do You Know How to Preserve Your Eyesight?Can you harm your ...Eyesight Quiz ►
What Do You Really Know About Diabetes?Nearly 26 million Americans ...Diabetes Quiz ►