To learn more see the 2014 Promise and Performance Report entitled, "No Boundaries." But that report is only part of the story. St.Vincent Heart Center is the largest heart care system in Indiana and continues to take our expertise to new places, serving more patients and sharing our knowledge across the state and around the world.
At St.Vincent Heart Center we strive to achieve extraordinary outcomes. We understand the importance of comparing our results with other heart and vascular programs across the country.
The St.Vincent Medical Group Cardiovascular physicians have been part of the Indianapolis community for more than 100 years. In that time, St.Vincent has developed a comprehensive heart and vascular care system for children and adults. Our medical providers include national and internationally renowned cardiovascular specialists. That means we attract cardiac and vascular pioneers, heart doctors who are at the top of their game.
These men and women deliver a very high level of cardiovascular care at both the Indianapolis Heart Center locations, and nearly 30 Heart Care Clinic/St.Vincent Hospital locations throughout Indiana.
Our patients also benefit from our leadership and participation in cardiovascular clinical trials. Many proven advanced heart care treatments are offered at the Heart Center because of this involvement.
The St.Vincent Heart Center System
- 24/7 Heart Emergency Care at our 86th & Naab and 106th & Meridian Street locations
- 13 additional Heart Care Clinics throughout Indiana
- 20 different areas of heart and vascular care
- 184 cardiovascular specialists and subspecialists and more than 300 associates.
St.Vincent Heart Center is a member of Ascension Health, the nation's largest not-for-profit Catholic healthcare system.
Learn how our approach to heart care is changing lives for the better. Read the Heart Health Blog -- patient stories and tips from our heart doctors and heart care associates.
Entrust Your Heart To Us
St.Vincent cardiovascular physician providers have a long history of innovation and excellence in heart and vascular care. Many of our physicians actively participate in transformative medical research and those efforts directly benefit our patients (www.clincaltrials.gov). Accepted standards of care and protocols for evaluating, diagnosing and treating heart and vascular disease have been developed at the St.Vincent Heart Center.
"Our high volume of cardiac valve cases, a 20-year database, and highly skilled personnel allows us to participate in national clinical studies which translate into a patient advantage."
-- David Heimansohn, MD, Cardiothoracic Surgeon
At the heart of all efforts is our commitment to this mission:
Holistic caring for the whole person.
Excellence and striving to improve your quality of life.
Advocacy, we walk this path together. No question is too small.
Respect for each patient's individual needs.
Teamwork and good communication to improve outcomes.
St.Vincent Heart Center is recognized as...
- The largest, most active heart care system in Indiana - treating more than 25,000 patients annually by more than 184 cardiovascular specialists in central Indiana.
- The only Indiana hospital listed on a national list of "100 Hospitals and Health Systems with Great Heart Programs" by Becker's Review (Oct. 2014).
- #1 in Indiana for "Overall Cardiac Services," 6th consecutive years by HealthGrades.
- Founder of the Indiana Heart Attack Network™--improving timely and consistent treatment of heart attacks in Indiana ERs and hospitals with the highest standards of care.
- A 5-star-rated Heart Emergency Unit by HealthGrades -- the highest possible rating for the treatment of heart attacks.
- Ranked in the 97th percentile for overall patient satisfaction by Press Ganey.
- Performing more open heart surgeries than any other Indiana hospital; noted for shorter than average hospitals stays.
- Indiana's first minimally invasive, robotic-assisted thoracic surgery program with more than 1,000 procedures done annually.
- The first Indiana hospital to perform both transcatheter aortic valve replacement and MitraClip™ therapies.
- The highest volume heart transplant program in Indiana by the Indiana Hospital Association.
- One of two hospitals with heart centers in the Indiana to have a multidisciplinary thoracic malignancy clinic. Our cardiologists work closely with St.Vincent oncologists for the treatment of benign and cancerous tumors in the chest. This includes the ability to do advanced endoscopic procedures for the disorders in the esophagus, trachea, and bronchi.
- One of four heart centers nationwide using the da Vinci® robotic surgery system to remove invasive mediastinal tumors in proximity to the heart, aorta, esophagus and thymus gland.
- A center for transformative medical research and authorship of cardiology and vascular peer-review journal articles. Many of these physicians are invited speakers at national and international scientific session meetings.
The 2014 Promise and Performance Report entitled, "No Boundaries," highlights many accomplishments and benchmarks.
View/Download the Performance Report
We maintain consistently lower open heart surgery mortality rates, as compared with national trends.
At St.Vincent Heart Center we know that innovations make a difference. That is why Heart Center physicians are pushing the limits of what's possible. We are helping to establish new standards of heart care. We do more procedures in all categories of care and that experience makes a difference in outcomes. By reporting our outcomes, we provide clear benchmarks for the quality of care you (the patient) should expect.
Overall, St.Vincent Heart Center has better results than the national average in many categories of heart care:
- No unplanned bypass surgery after angioplasty.
- A declining angioplasty (PCI) rate which reflects better management of cardiovascular risk factors, improved access to care, and effective medical therapy.
- Well-coordinated door-to-reperfusion time lapse leads to better outcomes.
- Significantly lower acute myocardial infarction (heart attack) rate than the national average.
We're determined to continue providing the best heart care - in Indiana and beyond. Our commitment to the patients and referring physicians we serve knows no boundaries.
Partners in Care
St.Vincent Heart Center is the largest, most active cardiology and cardiothoracic surgery program in Indiana, one of the largest in the Midwest and among the most decorated in the nation. Despite our size, every patient experience is personal - we work hard to create an environment that fosters the best type of care. It begins with each patient taking an active role in his or her care. Please read the Patient's Rights and Responsibilities.
Through our St.Vincent Ministries, we are here to help any individual (young or old) at risk for cardiovascular disease, including those that feel they have few options. At St.Vincent we know that when we treat the body (specifically the heart), we also positively invigorate the mind and spirit. Our passion for excellence in heart care is only made better by our "Caring Spirit" for each and every patient. We want you to experience a thoughtful and personal experience, one that improves your heart function today and in the future.
Each of the partners listed below provides significant support and resources to improve the overall patient experience.
St.Vincent Medical Group
St.Vincent Medical Group represents a broad range of physician specialists each with extensive experience evaluating, diagnosing and treating all types of cardiovascular diseases. The continuity of care includes emergency care physicians and the primary care physicians in the communities we serve. This includes Corvasc, the CareGroup and the Vascular Institute.
Ascension Health, the largest, non-profit Catholic health care system in the U.S. Each St.Vincent Hospital is a ministry of the Catholic Church. Ascension Health is transforming healthcare by providing the highest quality of care to all, with special attention to the poor and vulnerable.
American Heart Association
St.Vincent Heart Center partners with the American Heart Association (AHA) to help educate the public about heart and stroke signs and symptoms. We actively support AHA research and awareness efforts.
Suburban Health Organization
As part of our community outreach, Suburban Health Organizations help bring care closer to home. Our trusted partnerships with select hospitals within the Suburban Health Organization includes: quality and patient access initiatives; managed care contracts; and physician recruitment. Many of these hospitals also offer $49 Heart Scans.
Indiana Heart Attack Network (IHAN)
Founded by St.Vincent, the Indiana Heart Attack Network (IHAN) expedites heart care and communication between participating hospital emergency departments and St.Vincent Interventional Cardiologists in Indianapolis. IHAN has standardized treatment guidelines to improve care when minutes count. If needed, patients will be transported by ambulance or a medical helicopter to the St.Vincent Heart Center.
The St.Vincent Heart Center provides CaringBridge website communication services as a courtesy for our patients. When you are facing a significant health challenge, creating a personalized CaringBridge webpage can centralize communication to your select group of family and friends. It's a secure communication channel that can empower your support group.