We are a family-oriented program where residents and faculty enjoy spending time together at work and after hours. The faculty and program staff take a personal interest in the success of each resident and provide the support needed to grow and mature.
- Residents experience a wide variety of pathology in both primary and tertiary care settings.
- Fellowship – the vast majority of residents applying to fellowships are successful in matching into their field of choice.
- Award-winning teaching faculty
- St.Vincent has ranked among the 100 best hospitals in the United States each year since 1998
- Named among America’s Top 50 Hospitals by Becker’s Hospital Review
- The St. Vincent Heart Center of Indiana and St. Vincent Indianapolis Hospital ranked as the top two hospitals in Indiana, and among the top 10% nationally for cardiology and coronary interventions according to a study issued by HealthGrades.
- HealthGrades rated St. Vincent among the top 5% in the nation for stroke care, and Indiana’s number one provider of gastrointestinal care, spine surgery and vascular surgery.
- The 770-bed acute care facility also received the Excellence Awards in critical care and women’s health by HealthGrades.
- Ranked the Top Hospital in Indianapolis by Central Indiana residents
- ICU ranked among the Top 100 in the Nation by USA Today/Solucient Leadership Institute.
- Internationally recognized cardiology program
Diverse Approach to Learning
- Morning Report 3 times per week, noon conference (with lunch provided) 5 days per week.
- Medicine Grand Rounds with national and local speakers
- Ambulatory Case Conferences
- Procedural simulation, Glidescope-based intubation and ultrasound-guided procedural training
- Journal Clubs, Study (Board Prep) Groups, Oncology conferences, Cardiology conferences, Geriatrics conferences, Hepatobiliary conferences.
- Audience Response Systems to make learning sessions more interactive
- Video-based training in communication.
- Computer-based training using Hopkins modules and other program-developed resources for ambulatory and procedural training.
- Pharm D. present on wards and in clinic. Our inpatient service has its own dedicated Pharmacist team member.
- Procedural workshops on a variety of topics (i.e., ultrasound-guided vascular access, dermatology procedures, thoracentesis/paracentesis, bursa injections, etc.)
- International rotations include Foundation-sponsored travel stipends
- Huge breadth of pathology with a diversity of cultures.
- Opportunity to teach 2nd, 3rd and 4th year medical students.
- Study Club 2 times/month.
- Curriculum reviewed annually by residents and faculty.
- QI Curriculum.
- Residents receive a copy of MKSAP.
Cutting-Edge Technology for Patient Care and Resident Education
- 24-hour Internet and e-mail access.
- Outpatient computerized medical record system, also accessible from home.
- Inpatient computerized medical record includes on-line access to old medical records, OVID, tests and more.
- Digital radiology with viewing monitors on the wards.
- Excellent variety of Library resources - Ovid, Access Medicine, VisualDx, Up To Date, etc., available throughout campus.
- Caring for the poor is one of our core values at St.Vincent Hospital
- Residents donate time to Habitat for Humanity, Big Sisters, Good Sam's, Charity Runs to help provide for those victims of Domestic Violence and Lupus, among many others, as well as other free clinics and other projects.
Friendly and Supportive Environment
- Focus placed on healthy resident families.
- Exercise facilities at the hospital and at our Internal Medicine clinic.
- We work together with a strong sense of mission, purpose and teamwork. Great relationships with the other programs and with subspecialists.
- Time allocated for reading and outside interests.
- Resident sports teams, including basketball, softball, volleyball and more.
- Ample moonlighting opportunities are available to residents.
- At a time when many hospitals are struggling to survive, we continue to grow and prosper.