Our History

How we came to be St.Vincent Dunn

Men in front of Bedford's first hospital

 

Since the early days of the 20th century, St.Vincent Dunn has symbolized responsive commitment to community need.

Dunn Mallot House

1904

The hospital gets its start when Dr. J. T. Freeland and Dr. B. Short lease the Thomas Malott home on 16th Street and establish Bedford's first hospital, calling it the "Lawrence Hospital."

May 1908

The City of Bedford purchases the Rector homestead in the Brightwood Addition as the first portion of the present hospital's 18-acre site. The home on the property is renovated and equipped to provide nursing care for citizens of the community and is named "The Bedford City Hospital."

1915

Moses Fell Dunn bequeaths $15,000 to the hospital and together with $5,000 raised by public subscription, constructs a new wing for the hospital

Dunn Memorial Hospital

1919

The Dunn Memorial Hospital Association is formed and chartered by the State of Indiana as a nonprofit association for the purpose of operating a hospital.

1924

The name becomes "Dunn Memorial Hospital" when the newly constructed facilities are dedicated.

1939

The Dunn Memorial Hospital Association transfers the hospital properties to Lawrence County on the condition that the properties be used forever for hospital purposes. Construction begins on a new 50-bed hospital with the assistance of the WPA, gifts from individual donors and a county bond issuance.

1958

Hospital funds finance construction of a new kitchen and cafeteria.

1960

A county bond issue and hospital funds combine to purchase additional land and construct ancillary areas.

1968

Dunn Memorial Hospital establishes a cardiac care unit and a recovery room for surgical patients.

1970

A major expansion effort takes place, enlarging radiology and laboratory facilities, adding three emergency rooms, adding two patient floors, adding a new lobby and gift shop and increasing the hospital's capacity to a level of 137. (Dunn migrated to Critical Access status at the end of 2005, decreasing the bed count to 25 inpatients.)

1974

The Hamilton Unit is opened in honor of Dr. J. R. Hamilton of Mitchell and it expands the Intensive Care-Coronary Care Unit.

1979

A major renovation/expansion program is completed in 1979, expanding and modernizing all areas of the hospital.

1986

The hospital establishes a home health care service and dialysis care unit.

1987

A new CT scanner, new nuclear medicine department, and mammography are added. (Renovations, expansions and improvements have taken place since 1987 for stress testing, echo cardiovascular services, cardiac rehabilitation program, medical transportation service, infant day care, children's day care center, adult day care, maternal child health center, birthing room, cardiac catheterization, vascular laboratory, helicopter landing site, physician office building, Walk-In Clinic and worker's compensation clinic.

1997

The hospital opens its lithotripsy department in the new wing.

November 2003

The opening of the Cardiovascular Angio Suite inaugurates the second century of Dunn Memorial Hospital with further growth and the latest technology. (Since then, Dunn has also brought Lawrence County their first four-wheel drive ambulance to serve the community during harsh road conditions. On board is also the capability to transmit 12 lead EKGs back to the emergency department to help our physicians determine whether or not the patient is in need of cardiac intervention.)

2006

With these processes in place, Dunn gains accreditation from the Society of Chest Pain Centers, the 10th in the state. Dunn Memorial Hospital's service line expands with the introduction of South Central Orthopedics and Sports Medicine. This was and continues to be a strong need by many in our community with aspirations of introducing sports medicine and training to our local school systems.

2010

Dunn Memorial becomes a partner with St.Vincent Health, creating a new chapter in its long history of serving Lawrence County.

Today, St.Vincent Dunn has resources to offer its community members that it could not before. We look forward to serving all who seek healthcare that is centered around body, mind and spirit. We continue to strive for excellence in delivering care to our community.