The Pastoral Care Department strives to work cooperatively with local
clergy or their representative to honor the patient’s cultural,
spiritual and/or religious beliefs and practices. When a patient gives
consent, we will be glad to notify you of their admission. When visiting
a member of your congregation, stop at the Information Desk in the main
lobby for the patient’s room number or call the hospital operator at
(317) 338-2345. General visiting hours are from 8:30 a.m. – 8:30
p.m.; however, clergy are able to visit patients outside this time frame
when necessary. In general, due to patient needs, morning is usually
not a convenient time to visit. When meeting with family members, it may
be helpful to call ahead to ensure that they are present. Some patients
require additional precautions to prevent infections. If there is a
sign on a patient's door indicating "isolation precautions," please
check with a nurse before entering to request appropriate procedures.
Patients may require additional rest while in the hospital, so please
adjust your visits accordingly.
Hospital Staff Chaplains
Because we know that meeting patients’ spiritual and emotional needs
is part of their healing process, St.Vincent facilities offer trained,
professional chaplains in this specialized setting to assist and support
them with their spiritual and emotional needs.
To request a chaplain: From outside the hospital you may call (317)
338-2345 and ask the hospital operator to connect you with a chaplain.
Within the hospital, any St.Vincent associate wearing a name badge will
page a chaplain at your request, or you may dial “0” on a hospital phone
to request a chaplain through the operator.
In addition to having trained and certified staff chaplains, we offer
an abundance of other spiritual resources. Each of our patient rooms is
private and has an interactive TV which enables you to request a Bible
for your spiritual needs and enjoy spiritual programming.
- Our Chapel Channel (Ch. 2)
- Daily Mass from the chapel
- Spiritual videos for your enrichment by Willowgreen
- The C.A.R.E. Channel (Ch. 61)
- Skylight Access System
- Recitation of The Rosary
- Short devotionals that we call The Third Dove, written by our own chaplains
- And much more
- Entrance #1 (Main hospital): The chapel faces “Outpatient Surgery Pavilion A” and the stairway down to the cafeteria.
- Mass is celebrated at the main hospital chapel daily: 8 a.m. Monday – Friday; 7:45 p.m. Saturday; and 8:30 a.m. Sunday.
- Entrance #4 (Peyton Manning Children’s Hospital): A meditation room is located to the left of the Information Desk.
- Entrance #7 (St.Vincent Heart Center of Indiana, 86th St.): A small
chapel is to the right of the large tapestry in the waiting area.
- Entrance #8 (St.Vincent Orthopedic and Spine Center): A small chapel
is to the right of the Information Desk and registration booths.
- Morning and Evening Overhead Prayer
- Memorial Services
- Provided three times/year to celebrate the lives of loved ones who
have recently passed away. The community is welcome to join us if they
would like to also remember a loss of their family or friends, whether
it was at St.Vincent or elsewhere. Call the Pastoral Care office for
Pastoral Care Office
We are located on the basement level of the Orthopedic and Spine
Center (Entrance #8). Our phone number is (317) 338-2238 and our normal
office hours are 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. Monday – Friday.
Pastoral Care Training
We offer Stephen Ministry training and Clinical Pastoral Education (CPE)
for persons wanting to learn or enhance their spiritual care-giving
skills. Call our office for information about either of these programs
and how to apply for each, or visit the St.Vincent CPE web page to learn
about it specifically.