How to Access the Veterans Choice Program
Approximately 9 million veterans enrolled with the VA received a Veterans Choice Card under the newly enacted Veterans Access, Choice and Accountability Act. However any veteran is covered if he or she meets the eligibility requirements. If you face wait times in excess of 30 days or need to travel farther than 40 miles from your home, you could receive care at a healthcare facility outside of the VA.
St. Vincent can provide primary care, inpatient care, outpatient specialty care and mental health services to veterans who receive preauthorization. Long-term care and emergency care is not currently covered under the Veterans Choice Program. The VA has other options for veterans requiring emergency care.
If you are a veteran, the VA has provided these instructions for accessing the Veterans Choice Program:
- Explore St. Vincent doctors in your area at http://www.stvincent.org/Find-A-Physician/.
- Find a Doctor
- Call 1.866.606.8198 to check to see if you are eligible.
- Make sure you have information on hand about any other health insurance coverage you may have.
As a Veteran, when you call you will:
- Need to provide a ZIP code
- Need to provide an address
- Be asked for your preferred St. Vincent. provider
They will then:
- Check to make sure you are eligible for the Veterans Choice program
- Check what is covered by the VA
If you’d like to talk to someone, call the VA at 1.866.606.8198. Find out more on how you can access the Veterans Choice Program.