Since 2000, Ascension St. Vincent Hospital Indianapolis has sponsored a one year clinical fellowship in Geriatric Medicine. The fellowship is a community-based PGY-4 program offered through the Family Medicine Residency program. The fellowship is fully accredited by the ACGME and the program has a 100% pass rate for all who have taken the Geriatric Board exam.
The Fellowship accepts 1 fellow each year and does utilize the ERAS fellowship matching program. We do require Board Eligible/Board Certified status in either Family Medicine or Internal Medicine.
The goals of the St. Vincent Geriatrics Fellowship are to:
- Gain the skill required to become a fully qualified board certified geriatrician prepared to properly deal with the challenges of caring for the older complex patient in a variety of clinical settings.
- Gain specialty level training in the diagnosis and care of elderly patients using the Age Friendly Healthcare model and the 4 M’s.
- Achieve clinical expertise in practicing geriatric medicine in multiple levels of care including inpatient hospital, nursing home, assisted living, memory care and a community based specialty office practice.
- Understand the complex relationship between the normal aging process and how it relates to the presentation and course of multiple chronic diseases.
- Gain the ability to effectively practice within a multidisciplinary team, respecting the unique medical, psychological, social, and functional problems faced by the elderly patient and their caregivers.
- Achieve a level of expertise in identifying and addressing the complex older patients with multimorbidity and be comfortable with conversations regarding reasonable goals of care.
- Achieve proficiency in addressing the problems surrounding polypharmacy and time to benefit. We advocate on behalf of the appropriate use of medication therapy utilizing evidence based information whenever available.
- Achieve a high level of expertise in the diagnosis and management of dementia and working in a multidisciplinary care model.
- Achieve a high level of comfort working with the concepts of atypical presentation of illness, the geriatric syndromes and homeostenosis
- Become comfortable addressing palliative and end of life care issues and the ethical discernment concerns that often surround it
The Fellowship is based in the Ascension St. Vincent Center for Healthy Aging, a unique provider of services and programs to seniors in Central Indiana since 1987. The Center’s focus is advancing and strengthening networks, partnerships, resources and talents within community based programs that have compatible values. Our goal is to minister and advocate for the spiritual and health needs of the aging population within Central Indiana and within the Ascension St Vincent Health network. The stewardship of these resources supports improved outcomes of affiliated organizations and the aged population we seek to serve.