In 2012, St.Vincent Heart center of indiana maintained its position as one of the largest thoracic surgery programs in the Midwest.
Our thoracic surgeons perform a broad range of procedures, many for patients with lung or esophageal cancer. Our multidisciplinary thoracic Malignancy conference meets several times a month, coordinating the care of hundreds of patients with thoracic surgeons, medical and radiation oncologists, pulmonary and gastroenterology specialists, and support staff to design the optimal treatment approach for each patient.
St.Vincent Heart Center of Indiana is the busiest non-cardiac thoracic surgery facility in the state and one of the most respected centers for non-cardiac thoracic surgery in the nation. We’re one of only two hospitals in Indiana with thoracic surgeons on staff who specialize in the care of patients with benign and malignant disease of the chest and perform minimally invasive thoracic procedures. Our surgeons were the first in the state to perform minimally invasive thoracic procedures including robotic-assisted surgery with the da Vinci®robotic surgical system. We are one of only four centers in the U.S. performing thymus gland removal with this state-of-the-art technology.
Today, most thoracic surgery procedures can be performed using minimally invasive techniques, which can be performed using advanced cameras and equipment, while often requiring only a few incisions less than an inch in size. Minimally invasive procedures provide numerous benefits to patients, including:
- Shorter hospital stays
- Shorter recovery times
- Smaller incisions
- Less post-operative pain
With a team of physicians specializing in cancer of the lung and esophagus, infections of the lung and chest, airway disorders, excessive sweating and other lung and gastroesophageal procedures, our thoracic surgeons perform more thoracic procedures than anyone else in Indiana, making the thoracic surgery program at St.Vincent Heart Center of Indiana one of the largest in the Midwest.
St.Vincent Heart Center of Indiana is:
- Indiana’s only facility performing endoluminal treatment of esophageal and tracheal bronchial disorders
- The only minimally invasive thoracic surgery program in indiana and one of only four programs using the DaVinci Robot surgery system for thymectomy and invasive mediastinal tumor excision
- The state’s leading facility for sympathectomies and robot-assisted thoracic procedures
- One of only two hospitals in the state to have a multidisciplinary thoracic malignancy clinic
- Actively involved in local and national clinical research efforts to ensure that our patients receive the latest proven therapy