Medical & Surgical Care Partner
At St.Vincent Women’s Hospital, we recognize how important friends and family are to the healing process.
That’s why we offer the Care Partners Program developed by Planetree – an internationally recognized leader
in patient-centered care.
The Care Partner Program allows each patient to choose a family member or friend to be closely involved with his
or her healthcare experience. It may be a spouse, a significant other, a family member or a friend. As a Care Partner,
that individual lends support during the healing process, even staying overnight with the patient if needed.
The Care Partner Program is just another way we’re creating an empowering healing environment at
St.Vincent Women’s Hospital, where every patient is supported and nurtured in body, mind and spirit.
If your concern is not resolved, call
Being a Care Partner: The Basics
Being a Care Partner can be a challenging yet immensely rewarding experience. The following are just a
few ways you can make a positive impact on the healing process for the patient in your care.
- Aid with ambulation and short trips up and down the hall
- Keep items within easy reach such as call light, phone, tissues, etc.
- Keep bedside table clutter-free
- Clarify acceptable pain tolerance with the patient and notify caregiver when pain is not within those parameters
- Give a hand with moving and positioning in bed
- Listen to patient and caregivers, ask questions and share any concerns
- Be an active participant when follow-up home care instructions are given
- Help with ordering meals within physician’s orders
- Encourage appropriate fluid consumption, depending on physician’s orders; keep fresh ice water in the pitcher
- Assist with showering, back rubs, manicure or pedicure
- Read to patient, assist with phone calls and help monitor visitors to promote a restful atmosphere